Kontrollrummet

Julianna (BaconMcMuffin) - "Hallelujah"

0 medlemmar och 1 gäst tittar på detta ämne.

Utloggad BaconMcMuffin

• Talang
    • Antal inlägg: 101
  • Better known as "Julianna"
    • Visa profil
    • Julianna's music on soundclick.com
Is there such a thing as too much dynamics?  Wondering if anyone has any thoughts on compressing/limiting this... as it is, I've done nothing other than play keys and sing....

New link to get a cover song off of the KR server... Thanks to Divi for posting it!  And thanks to  Scorpions91 for letting me know I can't host it on KR (I'm afraid I didn't translate all the rules!)

http://dragoncolour.com/uploads/Hallelujah.mp3
« Senast ändrad: 10.09.2010, 20:49:51 by BaconMcMuffin »
The human theremin.

Utloggad Gurano

• Johnny Cash
    • Antal inlägg: 5 190
    • Visa profil
That was a nice cover!
In my headphones the song has too sharp S-sounds (maybe its just my headphones ?). But if the sharp S-sounds is there you perhaps could try de-esser (to fix it).

Gurano
Kör hårt - så länge det ryker!

Utloggad Wernborg

• Administrator
  • Johnny Cash
    • Antal inlägg: 8 449
    • Visa profil
  • Soundcloud: Wernborg
Great version of this so often trashed song. The lead vocals are of course superb. The arrangement at the end is cool, but I think it's a bit too obvious that you are backing up yourself. And the piano isn't really made to be heard by itself like this all without the friends in the band.  :wacko: Played well, but it sounds a bit plastic.

No problem with the dynamics. An arrangement like this sounds great without being compressed a lot.

Thumbs up!!

Utloggad BaconMcMuffin

• Talang
    • Visa profil
...And the piano isn't really made to be heard by itself like this all without the friends in the band.  :wacko: Played well, but it sounds a bit plastic...

HA!  Oh, I'm not a very good keyboardist, I know!  But!  I was proud of myself that I only had to correct two bad notes with my midi editor!  I'll consider that "batting a thousand" (silly American baseball reference that I probably shouldn't make in a Swedish forum).   ;)

It really WOULD be better with friends.

I just did this because I haven't recorded anything lately, and was wondering if I still could... Then, I thought that the ending was a little boring, and made myself a choir.  It IS "Hallelujah", after all.  A choir is necessary.  But I didn't have one.  :)
Thanks, G!  I'll listen harder for sibilance and de-ess it a bit.  You are probably right... 
The human theremin.

Utloggad Eddi

• Elvis
    • Antal inlägg: 13 247
    • Visa profil
    • WideWorld & Friends
Hi Juli
You know I´m not a mix-guru att all - but I wonder if your master doesnt brake into red a couple of times? My louders krack a bit anyway and when I adjust the knob your lower voice wasnt heard so loud as I want it so I think a little bit of adjusting on the master and a little bit of compression would do the trick.
Apart from that I like much and is not disturbed over the pianosound or your backing - beautiful version this. Maby just maby you can open the EQ around 1000 or so a bit.
Strävar framåt men blickar bakåt för säkerhets skull
: Min nya homezite http://www.wideworld.se

Utloggad Dividend

• Elvis
    • Antal inlägg: 10 256
  • Den som noterar musik, använder inte gitarr!
    • Visa profil
I save this. Best interpretation of a cohen song I've heard.

https://soundcloud.com/user7789882

Utloggad Mats

• Talang
    • Antal inlägg: 234
    • Visa profil
    • Spenatstrand

Utloggad BaconMcMuffin

• Talang
    • Visa profil
...but I wonder if your master doesnt brake into red a couple of times? ...Maby just maby you can open the EQ around 1000 or so a bit.

Thanks, Eko!  I probably DO get it too hot there... Will look at that.  :)

Divi, that's really nice to hear... you're "blowing smoke up my ass" as they say, but... still... ;)

And thank you, too, Mats! 
The human theremin.

Utloggad scorpions91

• Talang
    • Antal inlägg: 133
    • Visa profil
I thought we wasnt allowed to upload a cover on Kontrollrummets server? :unsure:

Utloggad hogge

• Legend
    • Antal inlägg: 2 353
  • Family Guy!
    • Visa profil
I really hate this song, but I love Your voice tho..
HOGGEZ ORKESTEr http://www.facebook.com/hoggez

Utloggad bjurte

• Hare
  • Legend
    • Antal inlägg: 3 773
  • You can run,butYou cant hide
    • Visa profil
  • Soundcloud: bjurte
Superb singing!!
A little overdynamic though..
But the song... well,I would'nt take as strong words as 'HOGGE' but....It have past it's 'Bestbefore date'!
(Do you say Duedate in McMuffin language??)
Bjurte the artist formerly known as Uriah.
http://soundcloud.com/bjurte

Utloggad spacetrucker

• Legend
    • Antal inlägg: 2 297
  • Anything too stupid to be said, is sung.
    • Visa profil
    • Kurpitsa
Yep, like your voice. It is as far as you can get from Leonerd Cohen I guess but this works real nice.

Space

P.S. I like the song :)
Life is too short to remove USB safely

asti

• Gäst
Great singing, but I think the level differs a bit too much,
so I would recommend the use of a compressor/limiter!
The level of the piano also should follow the variations of the vocal
a bit more......
But don´t pay any attention to me, an old fart from the deep forests of southern Sweden
who claims to be "half-a-scone" (halv-skåning)!  :)

Utloggad Dividend

• Elvis
    • Visa profil
Divi, that's really nice to hear... you're "blowing smoke up my ass" as they say, but... still... ;)
I'm not blowing smoke anywhere! ;) I generally think women that cover Cohen, does a better job than himself. I HATE his own version of this song.

Warnes, does this version of First we take manhattan, better than Leonardo Coheniaro does! 100 times better! :)

(sorry about the bad quality, and the annoying dude that talks before the song begins. Couldn't find a better one.)

[/quote]
I thought we wasnt allowed to upload a cover on Kontrollrummets server? :unsure:

http://dragoncolour.com/uploads/Hallelujah.mp3

(Bacon, you may put this link in the first post of the discussion. :)

[mp3=200,20,0,center]http://dragoncolour.com/uploads/Hallelujah.mp3[/mp3]

Utloggad Tokai

• Legend
    • Antal inlägg: 2 139
    • Visa profil
Hallo Julianna!
You maybe need some compression but most of all you need to automate your voice-channel. It´s easy done in almost every DAW (Cubase, Logic or whatever)
This Cohen song you either like or dislike; I think is a great song. Your interpretation is very nice!
« Senast ändrad: 10.09.2010, 20:58:27 by Tokai »

Utloggad BaconMcMuffin

• Talang
    • Visa profil
Fixed!  Thank you!
nice of you to listen anyway, Hogge!
The human theremin.

Utloggad BaconMcMuffin

• Talang
    • Visa profil
Superb singing!!
A little overdynamic though..
But the song... well,I would'nt take as strong words as 'HOGGE' but....It have past it's 'Bestbefore date'!
(Do you say Duedate in McMuffin language??)

McMuffin would say "Best Before date"... or "Jumped the Shark".  That's a good expression for something that's been done to death, or "Beaten like a dead horse".  Now THERE is some lovely imagery!   :o

Great singing, but I think the level differs a bit too much,
so I would recommend the use of a compressor/limiter!
The level of the piano also should follow the variations of the vocal
a bit more......
But don´t pay any attention to me, an old fart from the deep forests of southern Sweden
who claims to be "half-a-scone" (halv-skåning)!  :)
Well, Mr Half-a-scone, I'll work on that!
Hallo Julianna!
You maybe need some compression but most of all you need to automate your voice-channel. It´s easy done in almost every DAW (Cubase, Logic or whatever)
This Cohen song you either like or dislike; I think is a great song. Your intepretation is very nice!
I'll have to look into that - I use Sonar, actually, and I know that I can assign a mix bus to groups of tracks, or single tracks, but I have to learn about automating.... I'm so lame.  :)

THANKS EVERYONE!
The human theremin.

Utloggad scorpions91

• Talang
    • Antal inlägg: 133
    • Visa profil
Fixed!  Thank you!
nice of you to listen anyway, Hogge!

I think this is a good cover very nice!

clavinova

• Gäst
Hi Julianna! Very nice cover indeed! I saw your reference to KD Lang and I have to admit that the version I listened to, recorded in Australia was mindblowing. Sadly I also had a look at a recent Cohen-version and he's getting old, in many ways.

Only remark I have on your version in fact is that the piano sounds very plastic to me.

Utloggad Marruschkka

• Legend
    • Antal inlägg: 2 677
  • Är det bra så är jag på!
    • Visa profil
Beautiful song of you Julianna :P  You make this cover into something I never heard of this piece before, great!(I like Cohen but not his own version of this song)

In my view I think maybe your song is uncompressed, just compress  a little because I love the dynamics here aswell.

Lovely :rolleyes:

/Marre
« Senast ändrad: 11.09.2010, 20:28:29 by Marruschkka »
https://soundcloud.com/tokstollan

Utloggad MaxB

• Elvis
    • Antal inlägg: 16 855
    • Visa profil
    • http://elvshand.shivas.se
  • Soundcloud: gitarr

I thought I would not give a comment on this. The only reason is because the best and (in my opinion so far) only version that counts, is Jeff Buckleys version of Hallelujah (on the album Grace).

Jeff Buckleys version, defenitely worth listening to: http://listen.grooveshark.com/#/s/Hallelujah/1NsD1C

Anyway, Dividend gives me inspiration, after I've been listening to your version (several times now) this morning, when he says - "best interpretetion...".

Firstly I say: - "Hold your horses Div"...  B)
On a second thought though, I say: - "Hold my horses MaxB", realizing this is Dividends opinion.
Anyway, my opinion is that no version can compete with Jeff Buckleys.
When that is said I must say I do like your version.
One draw back is at one or two parts in the track your voice have to many notes on its way to the note intended.
That makes your interpretation personal, but I can do without that lower note on the way to "...major lifts". To me it's enough having them lower notes on "fourth" and "fifth".

So, the conclusion from me is, not the best interpretation (if I compare it to Jeff Buckleys), but pretty good!

I have never heard the saying: - "blowing smoke up my ass" and wonder if google translate can tell me what that means...   ;)
« Senast ändrad: 12.09.2010, 13:04:37 by MaxB »
Jag lever i dået nu och är ingen kändis. Det är min Mini-Magitron - på Google

Utloggad BaconMcMuffin

• Talang
    • Visa profil
Max, I'm not sure a out Google translation on that one, but it made me wonder where the term came from... Found this:  http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/305333 interesting to say the least.

You are right... Buckley, indeed does an amazing version - and given your thoughts, I'm glad that you took a listen to my attempt! :)

I DID play around with the notes on "major lift" - in fact, I have several takes where I did not slide up to it, but in the end, that was my favorite take overall, so I left it in.  I did think about editing in a non-sliding version... But you now how it is.... You start one way and end up another, and keep changing and adding as you go along, and then it becomes altogether someone different than What you had when you started!

Marre, Clavi, thank you for the nice comments!  And for listening! 
The human theremin.

freddy

• Gäst
This song has been done to death, although its a great song.

Your vocals are great though, on the verge of being overdramatic but they still work!

Production and arrangement is a tad boring for me, nothing that stands out. I would love to hear a Chrome cover, with full-on industrial orchestration to enhance some of the parts, still keeping other parts soft and mellow. Like its played in my head right now :)

Utloggad Dividend

• Elvis
    • Visa profil
I agree with Freddy. I don't like Buck's version, he even changed the lyrics, but a chrome-enhanced Hallelujah, would probably be outstanding.
Please, please..

Utloggad egghuvud

• eggsalterande
  • Legend
    • Antal inlägg: 2 793
    • Visa profil
To answer you’re original question i think it would be a shame to use to much compressor or limiter on this song. There is not a lot of instrument competing about the frequencies so I think it’s good as it is, with a few minor adjustments. As someone pointed out there is some sharp S:es and sometimes it sounds like the voice recording dists. (is that a correct term? – Dists)

The arrangement is good because you’re voice is good, but I agree with Freddy that it gets a bit boring and I wouldn’t mind some strings or perhaps just a cello. In the end it lifts when the chorus comes in.

eggs  :)